anyone catch the Colbert Report tonight?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Jan 13 05:09:17 UTC 2006

featuring a(n apparent) phone conversation between Colbert and
Michael Adams debating the question of who has ownership rights to
the word "truthiness"?  The former claims he pulled the word out of
where the sun don't shine, while the latter points to the fact that
it appears in the OED, to which Colbert could have chosen to (but,
curiously, didn't) point out that the OED's "truthiness", with a sole
cite from 1824--

1824 J. J. GURNEY in Braithwaite Mem. (1854) I. 242 Everyone who
knows her is aware of her truthiness.

--is simply the nominalization of "truthy", meaning 'truthful,
characterized by truth', which is not the "truthiness" we voted for
in Albuquerque.  The OED glosses *their* "truthiness" simply as
'truthfulness, faithfulness'.

Anyway, good theater all around, even if there was some dispute on
whether one party to a dispute can felicitously accept an apology
that the other party never actually gave...

Larry, noting that at least the ADS got a bit more valuable publicity