"Where the sun don't shine"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Jan 14 22:58:17 UTC 2006

The earliest reference I have to the now prevalent sense of "where the sun doesn't shine" is in the original "Bad News Bears" movie (1976).

  Hard to believe ?

  JL

Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Bapopik at AOL.COM
Subject: "Where the sun don't shine"

WHERE THE SUN DON'T SHINE--180,000 Google hits
_http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/2006_01.html_
(http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/2006_01.html)
COLBERT: Hello, is this Dr. Michael Adams?

ADAMS: Yes it is.

COLBERT: Uh, Dr. Adams, this is Stephen Colbert from "The Colbert Report."
Are you familiar with the show?

ADAMS: Ummm, no.

COLBERT: OK, are you the same Dr. Adams who took it upon himself to define
truthiness to the Associated Press last week?

ADAMS: Uh, yes I am.

COLBERT: Um, sir, where do you get off defining a word that I made up?

ADAMS: You didn't make it up. It's in the dictionary.

COLBERT: What dictionary?

ADAMS: It's in the Oxford English Dictionary.

COLBERT: OK, stop right there. I pulled that word right out of where the sun
don't shine on October 17th.
_POPULAR RECORDS; Souther Album Signals His Arrival _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=1&did=667952322&SrchMode=1&sid=1&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQ
T=309&VName=HNP&TS=1137268343&clientId=65882)
ROBERT HILBURN. Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.:
Aug 13, 1972. p. C49 (2 pages) :
Pg. 67:
There's a lot of appealing, top-40 zest in the upbeat "How Long," a song
about a guy waiting for a girl to get over an unhappy experience: "Well, you
have been doing time in a lonesome prison/Where the sun don't shine/(But) Just
outside a freedom river runs...How long, how long/Woman will you weep?"
Sizzling guitar work.
(John David Souther--ed.)
_A Loss That's Hard to Lose; Cowboys Can't Shake Super Bowl as They Await
Pro Bowl _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=2&did=654924712&SrchMode=1&sid=1&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1137268605&clientId=65882)
MIKE LITTWIN. Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.:
Jan 26, 1979. p. D2 (1 page) :
Losing. It's the bottom side of winning, a dark place where the sun don't
shine. On a scale of one to 10, it's a zero.
_At a Loss, He's Doing a Job on Despair_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=4&did=657832162&SrchMode=1&sid=1&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=H
NP&TS=1137268696&clientId=65882)
ED GOLDMAN. Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Jun
4, 1980. p. D7 (1 page) :
...I thought that if I found the _perfect job_ immediately, and was able to
tell everyone to put the preliminary budget where the sun don't shine, some
sense of justice would be served, some small sense of dignity recovered.
_The Daily Intelligencer_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=3YGl/Jks4m6KID/6NLMW2phGE4QmaoT/FqKsIjLs5qi2i2h1cHH99EIF+CsZYmrz) _Sunday,
November 06, 1983_ (http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=)
_Doylestown,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search="where+the+sun+don't+shine"+AND+cityid:7736+AND+stateid:77+AND+range:1759-1985)
_Pennsylvania_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search="where+the+sun+don't+shine"+AND+stateid:77+AND+range:1759-1985)
...Now If people talk down to I 'Go WHERE THE SUN DON'T SHINE.' I've never
hit a woman. But ... ..

_Syracuse Herald Journal_ (http://www.newspaperarc
hive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=3YGl/Jks4m6KID/6NLMW2kBd5KOrlaK18GRdXzrqQV7Lqp1SExJxwUIF+CsZYmrz) _Monday,
September 17, 1984_ (http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=)
_Syracuse,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search="where+the+sun+don't+shine"+AND+cityid:28660+AND+stateid:67+AND+range:1759-1985) _New York_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search="where+the+sun+don't+shine"+AN
D+stateid:67+AND+range:1759-1985)
...official responded tell him to stick those cans WHERE THE SUN DON'T
SHINE. We're selling ... ..

_Syracuse Herald Journal_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=3YGl/Jks4m6KID/6NLMW2kBd5KOrlaK18GRdXzrqQV7DW61ChYMwuEIF+CsZYmrz) _Monday,

(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=3YGl/Jks4m6KID/6NLMW2phGE4QmaoT/rUPNr8Vdl7AqYvi7u0Ss00IF+CsZYmrz) _Sunday,

(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=3YGl/Jks4m6KID/6NLMW2kBd5KOrlaK1bmfv7mXDJSAvrFPVZG5d1EIF+CsZYmrz) _Monday,
September 17, 1984_ (http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=)
_Syracuse,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search="where+the+sun+don't+shine"+AND+cityid:28660+AND+stateid:67+AND+range:1759-1985) _New York_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search="where+the+sun+don't+shine"+AN
D+stateid:67+AND+range:1759-1985) ...official responded tell him to stick
those cans WHERE THE SUN DON'T SHINE. We're selling ... ..