Dating of "Angels on Horseback"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Jan 16 20:22:44 UTC 2006

OED2:

s.v. angel:  7. angels on horseback (see quot. 1900).
    1888 Mrs. Beeton Bk. Househ. Managem. §2078
Angels on Horseback. (Fr. — Anges à
Cheval).  1900 ‘Sarah Grand’ Babs (1901) xv
Angels on Horseback, now—those delicious little
morsels of oysters rolled in bacon, and served on crisp toast.

And s.v; pig (n.1):
   1902 Daily Chron. 11 Oct. 8/4 ‘Pigs in
Blankets’ the Americans call oysters wrapped in
bacon. We...term them ‘Angels on
Horseback’.  1973 Observer (Colour Suppl.) 16
Sept. 83/2 The famous savoury angels on
horseback. (The Americans call it pigs in blankets.)

I think these British quotations giving to "pigs
in a basket" the meaning “oysters wrapped in
bacon” may never have been correct--"pigs" is hot
dogs over here.  Viz. OED2, s.v. "pig":
    1926 Maines & Grant Wise-Crack Dict. 12/2 Pig
in a blanket, sausage in a roll.  1941 J. Smiley
Hash House Lingo 43 Pig in a blanket, frankfurter sandwich.

Joel