New light on "truthiness"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Jan 17 04:25:35 UTC 2006

At 1:07 PM -0500 1/16/06, Benjamin Zimmer wrote:
>I just wrote up a Lang Log post on our old friend "truthiness" as it
>appears in the work cited by OED, _The Memoirs of Joseph John Gurney_
>(Joseph Bevan Braithwaite, 1854):
>
>http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/002764.html
>
>OED has apparently erred in giving a date of 1824-- on closer
>inspection, the cite provided actually looks to be from 1837. Also,
>Gurney used the word again in 1844. But I can't find any other
>pre-Colbert uses in print. Can anyone find other attestations?

No, but (besides noting that this find does seem to suggest that the
OED cites may in some cases be more truthy than true) I am starting
to wonder exactly what "truthy" and "truthiness" were doing in the
lexicon (to the marginal extent that they were in there in the first
place) in those pre-Colbert age before "truthiness" came to stand for
(as one of its election-night supporters, Larry Hauser, put it) 'faux
truth'.  One point I thought worth making is that it's not "truth"
that the older "truthiness" alternated with but "truthfulness";
similarly, "truthy" seems to have been closer to "truthful" back then
than to "true".  The Colberty  "truthiness", on the other hand, is
more like "true", only less so.

Larry