Query: Why "she" in reference to a ship?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Jan 18 03:47:14 UTC 2006

At 7:17 PM -0800 1/17/06, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>FWIW, the use of feminine pronouns to refer to ships has been
>condemned as "demeaning to women,"  though I'm not sure how
>influential the condemnation - made a quarter century ago - has been.
>
>   JL

It's certainly cited in a good deal of feminist linguistics
treatises, for the reason I mentioned:  if the canonical assumption
is that the captain/pilot/leader is "he" and the ship/country [ship
of state] is "she", it locks women out of (certain) positions of
power.

LH