Birth of a nova - truthiness

Barbara Need nee1 at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Wed Jan 18 19:16:12 UTC 2006

>Like astronomers witnessing the birth of a nova, we are watching the nativity
>and infancy of a new word that has the possibility of becoming a permanent
>addition to the vocabulary. And we have been midwives.

[Stuff omitted]

>Two more examples: Time Magazine's (Jan 23) article on James Frey's book
>refers to "truthiness" being chosen WOTY by "a panel of linguists."
>And today's (Jan 18) Chicago Tribune has a column by Clarence Page
>that begins:

Actually, if my memory serves, there were two references to
"truthiness" in today's Trib. The second was in the Tempo section
(there is a weekly column on language, now Wednesdays) and cited
exactly the same definition (attributed to ADS) as Clarence Page.

Barbara

Barbara Need
UChicago