Mayor Bloomberg's speech

Thu Jan 19 14:04:54 UTC 2006

Truthiness at work!  The longer I live, the less I
trust what I read in the press.

Personal anecdote:  My daughter Stephanie is an intern
at Preservation Magazine, in Washington, DC.  After
writing several articles for the magazine's website
she was finally assigned an article to be published.
She did her research, interviewed the owner of the
restored building, wrote her article and submitted it
to her editor.  She didn't see the article again until
she saw it in print in the magazine: she was furious.
The editor had rewritten the article, omitted some of
her researched information and replaced it with some
erroneous, fabricated "facts" of his own, and
misquoted the building owners.

In the days of yesteryear I might have said he found
his version more "sexy"; now maybe I should say he
considered his version to have more "truthiness".

--- Joan Houston Hall <jdhall at WISCMAIL.WISC.EDU>

http://mail.yahoo.com