iomega help conversation

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Fri Jan 20 16:29:21 UTC 2006

You-all will surely like this. It's for real. (Typos fixed.)

dInIs

Subject
Chat Session

Discussion Thread
Response (K.J.) - 01/20/2006 09:11 AM
Dear Dennis Preston,

The complete transcript from your recent Iomega live chat support
session is attached for your reference.

Your reference # is: XXXXXXXXXX
Please refer to this number in all future contacts with Iomega
regarding this request.

We'd also like you to know that you can always view all prior chat
and email support messages at your Iomega support account at
https://iomega-na-en.custhelp.com.

Chat Support Transcript

Chat Transcript - 01/20/2006 09:11 AM
K.J.:  Thank you for contacting Iomega's Online Support Services. If
you haven't already done so, please type in the serial number of your
Iomega drive. Doing so will help me find the right troubleshooting
steps for your product. How may I assist you today?

Dennis:  I've got a new Super DVD (Iomega DVD USB 2.0, External).
I've installed the software, but the disk tray won't open. I checked
in the manual and online for the "Key Lock" (on the back). Could the
drive be locked? There was no information about this.

K.J.:  The lock on the drive is to lock it to a table or something like that.

Dennis:  So that's not the problem. What to do?

K.J.:  It may be damaged. Disconnect the drive from usb then power
reset the drive then leave it disconnected from USB and try to open
the tray with the drive just connected to power only

Dennis:  Did it. Still won't open.

K.J.:  Then it will need replaced. The door is damaged. The drive
should open and close without it being connected to the computer.

Dennis:  Dammit! But it's nice to get help from a "needs + past
participle" user (Western PA, Central Ohio?).

K.J.:  I do not understand what you mean. The drive would need
replaced. Unfortunately, the serial number you have provided shows
the drive to be Out Of Warranty in our database.  If you have a proof
of purchase that indicates your drive is in warranty, you may forward
a copy to us and we will update our database accordingly.  We have
two methods to accomplish this.
1.  Fax
You may fax the Proof Of Purchase to 1-800-756-3959
(Attention:Kathryn). The fax must include your Name and Incident
Reference #.  If that information is not provided, there may be a
delay in completing the RMA.
2.  E-Mail
You may also email us a soft copy of your proof of purchase.  Please
attach the soft copy to your reply email.
Once we have received your proof of purchase, we will process the RMA
as soon as possible.

Dennis:  You wrote "need replaced." That is a very limited
grammatical construction; it occurs mainly in the Central Midlands
(Central Ohio, etc.) of the US. There is some evidence that it came
from early Scots-Irish immigrant usage. Thanks; I'll have to return
it.

K.J.:  What?

Dennis:  Since it came in the mail this morning, it's hard to imagine
that it is out of warranty.

K.J.:  The serial number is showing out of warranty. I could replace
it with a proof of purchase as I have requested, but I'm from PA not
OH and we would need to stay on topic.

Dennis: (No response.)

K.J.: Thank you and have a great day. Please do not hesitate to
contact us if you need further assistance. Once again, thank you for
contacting the Iomega Online Support Services.

disconnected

--
Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor