"Melissa": a drink

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 20 20:23:33 UTC 2006

On 1/19/06, Douglas G. Wilson <douglas at nb.net> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Douglas G. Wilson" <douglas at NB.NET>
> Subject:      Re: "Melissa": a drink
>
> >Melissa: A drink composed of ?equal measures? of champagne and (diet) Coke.
> >
> >This is new to me. Needless to say, what with "Melissa" being a
> >personal name and all, Google yields ca.1,800,000 hits. While fooling
> >around among the hits, I ran across another new-to-me drink - recipe
> >submitted by Melissa Lewis - made of equal measures of Midori and
> >Bailey's Irish Cream. This concoction is called a "Fuck Me."
> >Unfortunately, it's not possible to tell whether the intonation
> >pattern is "FUCK me!" or "fuck ME!"
>
> I vote for #2.
>
> >BTW, everybody knows that "midori" is the Japanese word for "green," right?
>
> I'm sure everyone does ... at least in Japan. But there's more ...
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midori
>
> Apparently there is also a manga character who has the given name Midori
> written with kanji for "beautiful bird" or so rather than "green".
>
> -- Doug Wilson

Very interesting. Do you remember the Japanese figure skater from a
decade or so back whose first name was "Midori"? I used to wonder why
her parents had named her "Green." But, if there's another
chararcterization that reads, "Midori," but which means "Beautiful
Bird," the name makes perfect sense.

Good one, Doug!

-Wilson