illegibilia in digest (re: Pretzel/Bretzel (1843))

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Jan 20 20:49:43 UTC 2006

Mark is not the only one who can't read "these things".  I've seen
them in messages I receive directly (that is, not via the digest),
and a number of persons on another list I subscribe to have the same
complaint about its digest.

Mark, do you see both the illegibilia and the plain text for such
messages in the digest?  If so, I think the problem rests both with
the subscriber and the list server, and can be prevented by the list
server.  If subscribers sent only plain text, such things would not
appear.  If the list server refused to accept styled text (which can
be done), such things would be rejected and the subscribers forced to
send plain text.

Gmail, on the other hand, perhaps uses an encoding even for plain
text that more modern email readers don't accept.

Joel