"San Antone"

Tom Vincent tomrvincent at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jan 23 17:00:03 UTC 2006

Wouldn't that be an abbreviation rather than a pronunciation?  Sort of like San Fran or B-more?

Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM> wrote:  ---------------------- Information from the mail header -----------------------
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Jonathan Lighter
Subject: "San Antone"

I don't believe this familiar pronunciation of the name of the Texas city is well documented before Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys released the song, "New San Antonio Rose" in 1940. (The "old" "San Antonio Rose" was an instrumental.)

1899 Will Levington Comfort _Trooper Tales_ 135: Back to San Anton'.

JL

Yahoo! Photos

Tom Vincent

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - Franklin Roosevelt