Antedating of "Yankee Doodle"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jan 23 21:41:44 UTC 2006

The received scholarly wisdom is that the song was written by the British Army surgeon Dr. Richard Schackburg in 1755, so earlier exx. are theoretically possible.

  JL

Fred Shapiro <fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Fred Shapiro
Subject: Antedating of "Yankee Doodle"

Yankee Doodle (OED 1768)

1767 Andrew Barton _The Disappointment_ 22 (Evans Digital Edition) AIR
IV. Yankee Doodle. _O! how awful shall I be, When I get de money, I will
bring it all to dee; O! my diddling honey._ [_Exit, singing the chorus,_
yankee doodle, &c.

Fred Shapiro

Fred R. Shapiro Editor
Associate Librarian for Collections and YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
Access and Lecturer in Legal Research Yale University Press,
Yale Law School forthcoming
e-mail: fred.shapiro at yale.edu http://quotationdictionary.com