Boondocks on "b rokeback"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Jan 24 16:42:20 UTC 2006

>The full name is, after all, "Brokeback Mountain." It is not uncommon for
>topographical names to have "negative polarity" not is it uncommon
>for movies to
>contain words with "negative polarity."
>
>I do find the film was a bit daring in selecting a title that is so close to
>"Bareback," given that that is a euphemism for unprotected anal sexual
>intercourse that is well known in American culture

I wonder if Annie Proulx, the author of the eponymous novella on
which it's based, was aware of that term.  Also, am I right in
(vaguely) recalling that the mountain name is real?

>--and I seriously doubt that those
>cowboys carried condoms into the field in the 1960s (even though they were
>actually herding sheep).

I'm pretty sure no condom was involved, at least on that first
occasion in the tent.  Seems like their fingers would have been too
cold to slip one on anyway.

larry