Boondocks on "b rokeback"

Tom Vincent tomrvincent at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jan 24 17:38:49 UTC 2006

'Bareback' refers to any non-condom intercourse...it's not just for anal anymore!  I often see the term in Men's Journal magazine (not at all a gay journal) in refererence to heterosexual intercourse at lower-fertility times of the month.

RonButters at AOL.COM wrote:  ---------------------- Information from the mail header -----------------------
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: RonButters at AOL.COM
Subject: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Re:=20=A0=20=A0=20=A0=20Re:=20Boondocks=20on=20"b?
= =?ISO-8859-1?Q?rokeback"?=

The full name is, after all, "Brokeback Mountain." It is not uncommon for
topographical names to have "negative polarity" not is it uncommon for movies to
contain words with "negative polarity."

I do find the film was a bit daring in selecting a title that is so close to
"Bareback," given that that is a euphemism for unprotected anal sexual
intercourse that is well known in American culture--and I seriously doubt that those
cowboys carried condoms into the field in the 1960s (even though they were
actually herding sheep).

In a message dated 1/24/06 7:20:53 AM, hwgray at GMAIL.COM writes:

> IMO, the latter use of "brokeback" has been extracted from the phrase,
> _ADJ as a brokeback mule_, a very common BE expression.probably two
> days older than water. I was a bit taken aback when I first learned
> that there was a movie entitled "Brokeback" anything, given the total
> negative polarity of the BE term, which is sometimes dysphemized as
> "brokedick."
>
> -Wilson

Tom Vincent

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - Franklin Roosevelt