University of Pennsylvania web site tribute to William Labov

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Jan 25 01:08:25 UTC 2006

At 11:44 AM -0500 1/24/06, Mark A. Mandel wrote:
>Consulting the university's web site today, I found Bill Labov's
>smiling face looking out at me. (I seem to have lucked out with a
>random link to http://www.upenn.edu/pip/?pip=labov). Here is the text
>that appears next to it:
>

>Leader in linguistics
>
>William Labov is widely regarded as the father of American linguistics, so
>it's fitting that he is the first person to write a comprehensive guide to
>North American speech.

I yield to few if any in my admiration of Bill Labov's
accomplishments, but did an editor happen to delete a "socio-" prefix
from the copy here?  If not, I imagine there might be a paternity
suit in the works...

Larry