'Brokeback'='girlie' in the wild

Geoff Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Thu Jan 26 13:50:59 UTC 2006

At 12:00 AM 1/26/2006, you wrote:

>>>The question: Has anyone witnessed this in the wild, or is this an
>>>attempt by Aaron McGruder to create a new term?

I can report that on Wednesday morning I actually heard the use of
'brokeback' in the wild.  While in the men's locker room (really) of
our local fitness center another denizen recommended to a third the
use of a shaving cream he had learned about from his wife.  But, he
assured the guy he was talking to, it wasn't a 'brokeback thing'--it
was a men's shaving cream made by a women's face care company.
Of course, neither written nor recorded.  Still, spontaneous and
nobody knows I'm a linguist.

Geoff
Geoffrey S. Nathan <geoffnathan at wayne.edu>
Faculty Liaison, Computing and Information Technology,
         and Associate Professor of English
Linguistics Program                     Phone Numbers
Department of English                   Computing and Information
Technology:  (313) 577-1259
Wayne State University                  Linguistics (English):  (313) 577-8621
Detroit, MI, 48202                      C&IT Fax: (313) 577-1338