"Hook up" = have casual sex?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 26 16:23:00 UTC 2006

Today's _judge Mathis Show_:

Male defendant: "I've known her since we were in grade school and we
of only been friends."

Female plaintiff:  "But we *have* hooked up!"

Defendant: "That's true."

Judge: "I don't understand what point you're trying to make, ma'am."

FWIW, both people were white.

Till now, I've thought of a "hook-up" as a real relationship that
includes sex and not as a term that includes random acts of casual sex
within a "friendship with privileges." Perhaps I need to get out more.
OTOH, "date" has included the meaning, "an act of sex with a
prostitute" for at least a half-century.

No, that's not quite true. "Date" in that meaning is/was a technical
term used by whores when soliciting custom, as in, "Do you want a date
with me?"

Or so I've heard.

-Wilson Gray

-Wilson Gray