"Trump-tight"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 27 03:08:57 UTC 2006

>From the site, Slang of the Week:

"Trump-Tight- (adj.)- Super tight, crazy tight, really fucking cool.

"Origin- No idea. I heard Snoop say it on Doggystyle.

"Use: 'Dude, I just got the new Jay-Z record and that shit is
trump-tight! He's not overrated at all, bro!'"

Probable origin

In the card game of bid whist - the social card game of choice in
Afrite America - when a player has a hand that consists entirely of
trumps, he/she is said to be "trump-tight." The person who is
trump-tight turns the rest of the tricks (I know, but since people
learn to play whist long before they learn to play the game, the pun
is tradionally ignored) and thereby wins the deal and, under the right
circumstances, also wins the game. In fact, the player may even "pull
a Boston," the bid-whist equivalent of a bridge grand slam, or he/she
may at least "pull a young Boston," the equivalent of a small slam, as
a consequence of being trump-tight.

"Trump-tight" is, to quote The Clovers, "a real fine way to be!"

-Wilson Gray