"New York. It Ain't Kansas" (gun shirt) & "Welcome to New York. Now get out"

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Jan 27 04:19:43 UTC 2006

Perhaps someone knows more about these T-shirt slogans (Fred?). "New York.
It Ain't Kansas" (with a cartoon gun) and "Welcome to New York. Now get out" or
 "Welcome to New York. Now go home."
Below is my recent post at my Urban Elephants blog:
_http://urbanelephants.com/nyc/Elephant_Bloggers_
(http://urbanelephants.com/nyc/Elephant_Bloggers)

_Origin of the New York "gun shirt" ("New York. It  Ain't Kansas")_
(http://urbanelephants.com/nyc/node/2328)

Now that Mayor Bloomberg has made guns a very big deal, some may remember the
 infamous New York "gun shirt." You can see it and buy it on _eBay._
(http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6598488192&category=1310)
The T-shirt is explained here:
_http://www.barrypopik.com/article/1332/welcome-to-new-york-now-get-out-new-yo
rk-it-aint-kansas_
(http://www.barrypopik.com/article/1332/welcome-to-new-york-now-get-out-new-york-it-aint-kansas)
10 September 1989, New York Times, pg.  54:
T-Shirts' New Mood Is Sarcastic
 By GEORGE DULLEA

Read any good T-shirts lately? How about bad T-shirts,  hostile T-shirts,
cynical T-shirts, T-shirts with chips on their shoulders?  "Welcome to New York,"
says one. "Now go home."

Another shirt shows a cartoony snub-nosed revolver. "New  York," it reads.
"It Ain't Kansas."
(...)
"I had second thoughts about 'Die Yuppie,'" acknowledged  Leslie Merims, an
owner of a string of stores called Alada NY, "until I saw so  many yuppies
buying them." Other stores balked at carrying the "New York. It  Ain't Kansas" gun
shirt, a product of 90 degree Angle, a company in which her  husband, Daniel,
is a partner.

"But tourists love the gun shirt," Mrs. Merims said,  "especially the
Japanese. Somebody bought one and sent it to Kansas, where it  was stolen. So crime
is everywhere. Even the police buy gun shirts to wear  off-duty."

_add  new comment_ (http://urbanelephants.com/nyc/comment/reply/2328)  |
_write to author_ (http://urbanelephants.com/nyc/privatemsg/msgto/21)  | 1 read
Submitted by _Barry  Popik_ (http://urbanelephants.com/nyc/user/21)  on Thu,
01/26/2006 - 10:57pm.