not masculine/queer

Sat Jan 28 03:47:48 UTC 2006

On Jan 27, 2006, at 5:14 PM, RonButters at AOL.COM wrote:

> In a message dated 1/27/06 3:37:55 PM, zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU
> writes:
>
> [about two guys talking in the gym, one using the term "brokeback" to
> characterize some kind of cosmetic product that he was using]
>
>> odd.  that's exactly the interpretation i put on it.
>>

> Which interpretation, (1) 'I'm not lacking in masculinity'.

yes, that one.  i thought this would have been clear in context,

> or (2) 'I'm not
> gay'? I guess that Arnold believes the former, but that seems to me
> to violate
> one or another Gricean principles.

i'm not giving an *analysis* here.  i'm reporting how i interpreted
this utterance.  apparently, my interpretation is bizarre to you. i'm
sorry, i can't help that, it is as it is.  maybe i'm i'm alone in
this, but i suspect not.

arnold