query on "boid"s and "terlet"s

Mon Jan 30 07:30:24 UTC 2006

I've been wondering about this for a long time.  No, as far as I know--and I
study a lot of British dialects--there is none that show this alternation.
In Belfast, you do sometimes get an /r/ for what is usually an /y/ (front
rounded vowel) so that "now" can come out sounding like "nar" and /i/ is
another possible variant.  But that's it in the British Isles.

I think I mentioned it before, because it's a teaser.  Hollandic Dutch (esp.
Broad Amsterdams) does sometimes turn an /r/ into an /i/ after some vowels,
so that "maar" (but) =  [ma:i], and "door" (through) = [do:i]--it wouldn't
surprise me if  "kleur" (color) can't be [klo/:i], which is at least close
to the alternation we're talking about.  It coexists with a very New York
like palatal approximant, too--a sound a lot of us who don't say "boid" have
in bird, and the sound in "terlet".  Nieuw Amsterdam, right?  Probably not.
>From what I can gather, the change is a 20th century one in Dutch.  And the
Dutch didn't settle the South, either.  And this Dutch change is restricted
to final position--exactly where you don't get the NY/NO change.  So we lose
all around.

It's been blamed on Yiddish too--and Yiddish is rich in /Vi/ diphthongs.
But Yiddish oy comes from a Medieval German open o, probably via fronting
and dissimilation, and there's no vowel like an English, non-rhotic /3:/, as
far as I know.  Nor would you tend to have /r/~/i/ alternations--you'd
either have an alveolar trill or a uvular one, neither of which is close to
/i/.

I wonder if there's any Irish dialects out there with palatal approximants
for /r/ instead of retroflexes; reflexes of Gaelic slender, instead of
broad, /r/ perhaps.  I don't know of any though, but I'm on shakier ground
with my Celtic, rather than Germanic dialectology.

Paul Johnston