a very old joke

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at UMR.EDU
Tue Jan 31 03:53:48 UTC 2006

        And don't forget "Bogalusa" (Black Creek) from the immigrant whose
        horse got out of the barn, allegedly causing the immigrant to yell "He
        broke-a loose-a!"  Then there's "Mandyville" in Missouri (named for a
        postmaster's  daughter Amanda), allegedly from the plans of a local
        (immigrant) resident's daughter to marry a man the father disapproved of.
        The father insisted repeatedly: "Mandy vill *not* marry him!" The mother
        insisted equally repeatedly: "Mandy *vill* marry him." Hence: Mandyville.
          I also remember hearing about the place-name Wakenda (IIRC, Indian
        name for the  Great Spirit). A man was trying to get his ox to ford a
        stream, but the ox  was stubborn and didn't want to go. So the man kept
        shouting at  the ox: "Walk in dar." Hence: Wakenda.

        Gerald Cohen