BE "been VERB NP"

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIO.EDU
Sat Jul 1 20:40:49 UTC 2006

It's John and Angela Rickford, in a joint article from the late '70s?  But
Labov discusses it too, in "Is BEV a Separate Language?" (maybe not the
exact title); it's also in the _Language in the Inner City_ volume
(1972).  They don't cite BEEN + past tense (or past participle) though.  I
tested it on a black student this spring, and he knew the difference the
stress on 'been' made in meaning.