ToTN

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Jul 2 21:32:23 UTC 2006

Thanks, John.

  And let's not forget to "incent," which fortunately isn't slang, so I can ignore it.

  JL

"Baker, John" <JMB at STRADLEY.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Baker, John"
Subject: Re: ToTN

Here's a conversate from the Miami Herald (via Westlaw),
5/12/1985: "But lately she been getting a lot of phone calls every
night, mostly from boys, and they be conversating all night long."

Many of the early uses are from Black English, but not all.
>From the Sunday Times (UK) (via Westlaw), 4/26/1987: "The food was
unmemorable and the conversating mainly about record and cocain deals,
but the dancing was hilarious." (The "cocain" typo is probably
Westlaw's, but of course I haven't checked.)

And Jon's point about non-words is well-taken. From a recent
legal opinion (and noted by the PSLRA Nugget, a legal blog,
http://pslranugget.blogspot.com/2006/06/whose-english.html):

"Although the Court appreciates creativity in pleadings, it must
draw the line at words such as "incentivize" that have failed to make it
into any recognized English language dictionary."

Dutton v. D&K Healthcare Resources, Case 4:04-cv-00147-SNL, slip op. at
3 n.2 (E.D. Mo. June 23, 2006),
https://ecf.moed.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/show_case_doc?147,65671,,,,,569,1.
A quick check shows that M-W's 11th Collegiate and American Heritage are
among the dictionaries that are not "recognized."

John Baker