"Cock" = rooster

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Jul 5 16:02:50 UTC 2006

I rejected the 1599 Shakespearean ex. from HDAS as an illustrative citation, not because a phallic pun can be entirely dismissed, but because the putative pun would be entirely gratuitous.  The line makes perfect punning sense without it and, IIRC, there are no sexual connotations to the situation on stage.

  No nocturnal-perching-in-my-lady's-chamber stuff.

  JL

Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Charles Doyle
Subject: Re: "Cock" = rooster

And, in the realm of iffy derivations, there exists a third
possibility: "cock" as part of a firearm.

Shakespeare's Henry V includes a bawdy exchange among
the "hostess" and the low-thoughted trio Bardolph, Nym, and
Pistol. Pistol declares (of himself, playing on his
name), "Pistol's cock is up, and flashing fire will follow"
(2.1.54-55).

--Charlie