tip the iceberg

Gordon, Matthew J. GordonMJ at MISSOURI.EDU
Thu Jul 6 00:23:50 UTC 2006

In a podcast that is often a good source for eggcorns I heard the 'tip' in 'tip of the iceberg' reanalyzed as a verb.

I found some other examples by googling 'tipping' and 'iceberg'
e.g.
""I think we're barley cutting it,” APD Detective Christine Frank said.  “We're barely tipping the iceberg."
http://krqe.com/expanded.asp?ID=15917

"You will hear music from a variety of genres, as well as a spotlight on at least one new single every week and an artist that you should discover. That is just tipping the iceberg, so tune in starting Monday"
http://radio.uhh.hawaii.edu/show-info/?id=35&show_name=Campus%20AM

I suppose this usage could have been started by the Artic frat boys to describe their tradition of getting drunk and heading out into the night to sneak up on icebergs and tip them over.