"Cock" = rooster

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jul 6 01:58:10 UTC 2006

Maybe it's a different painting, Wilson, but the one I saw reproduced about twenty or so years ago depicting Roman soldiers scourging Christ.  At least one of the scourges looked and was positioned exactly as you describe, though I don't recall noticing the "shower" element.

  I'd say the painting was indeed from (roughly) the 15th C., but I don't know the name or nationality of the artist or the title of the book it was in. (The book was new around 1980-85, had lots of color pictures, and may have been a slick, middlebrow work on sex in history.) The picture may have been a manuscript illumination rather than a full painting.

  Anyway, it was disturbing.

  JL

Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: Re: "Cock" = rooster

The derivation is intuitively obvious. ;-) The faucets look like
foot-long, flaccid dongs. They only vaguely resemble today's faucets
with attachments for opening and closing. From the point of view of
the engraving, all that can be seen are curved pipes apparently
hanging from the crotches of a couple of the men. They are turned
partially away from us, eliminating any need for the artist to account
for the fact that no scrotum-like objects appear in the picture.
Unless a person is a charter member of the Clean-Minded Club, the
visual pun is inescapable. Nothing else need be taken into
consideration. As soon as I saw it, I thought, "So, that's why a penis
is called a 'cock'! Because it LOOKS LIKE one!"

Dating is not a problem. I don't remember the date of the engraving,
but, IIRC, it was from the same period, ca.15th c., as what is
probably the best-known work of the type: an oil painting of the
scourging of some saint(?). Looked at the right way, the painting can
be interpreted as a representation of a couple of guys
golden-showering a third: the handles of the scourges are the men's
penises and the ropes(?) of the scourges are streams of urine.

If anyone cares enough, I'll try to track down the book. Then,
assuming that I'm successful, if your - i.e. anybody's - local library
doesn't already have it, you can get it through interlibrary loan and
see whether you see what I saw. If you do, then we no longer need
struggle with the male-chicken conundrum.

-Wilson

http://mail.yahoo.com