Pinstriper (1949)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Jul 6 23:53:15 UTC 2006

_http://www.barrypopik.com/article/1695/pinstripers-yankees-from-their-pinstri
pe-uniforms_
(http://www.barrypopik.com/article/1695/pinstripers-yankees-from-their-pinstripe-uniforms)
The June OED has 1959 for "pin-striper." "Pinstriper" is at least  1949 on
Newspaperarchive, and I didn't look at The Sporting News (because I no  longer
subscribe).
Newspaperarchive went down on me once for this search. There are two  more
"pin-stripers" in a 1958 Winnipeg publication, but it's not the first  cite so
it's not worth the trouble.
My ADS-L mention of this will be many search pages higher than the  fuller
entry on my website. ATTENTION ANYONE READING THIS THROUGH A GOOGLE  SEARCH! GO
TO MY WEBSITE NOW!!
(Oxford English Dictionary)
pinstriper, n.
2. A person who wears pinstriped clothing; spec.  (a) a player in the New
York Yankees baseball team;  (b) a businessman or businesswoman, esp. one
belonging a prominent corporate company. Cf. _PINSTRIPE_
(http://dictionary.oed.com/cgi/crossref?query_type=word&queryword=pinstriper&first=1&max_to_show=10&single
=1&sort_type=alpha&xrefword=pinstripe&ps=n.)  n. 3.
1959  Los Angeles Times 13 Apr.  IV. 7  (headline) Future Pin-Stripers.
Quartet of Rookies  Fighting for Place on Yankee Roster. 1979  Washington Post 17
Apr.  B1/3 A reminder that not all lawyers are corporate pin-stripers, that
some of them choose to challenge the system rather than serve it.
30 June 1949, Walla Walla (WA) <i>Union-Bulletin</i>,  pg. 17:
Not only did the pin-stripers get a lot of publicity out of the  bad heel,
but an insufferable amount from Joe's (DiMaggio -- ed.) point of  view, but
since he has returned to the lineup, they will not only get the  publicity, but
customers will come a running to see how many more home runs he  is going to hit.
7 April 1959, <i>Daily Review</i> (Hayward, CA), pg.  10:
There was a rosier day eight years ago when Ed, then the pride of  Jefferson
High School in nearby Daly City, signed up with the bronx pinstripers  for
that nice bonus.
13 April 1959, Los Angeles <i>Times</i>,  pg. C7:
<i>FUTURE PIN-STRIPERS</i>
<i>Quartet of Rookies  Fighting</i>
<i>for Place on Yankee Roster</i>