FAQ (was Re: TIPS)

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Fri Jul 7 17:33:44 UTC 2006

I have heard "GIGO" pronounced both acronymically and initialistically.  The OED gives only one pronunciation, an acronymic one.  In fact, though, I have heard it pronounced variously as an acronym: /g/ vs. /j/, /ai/ vs. /i/.

Probably because we see the word and write it more often that we hear or speak it; orally, we're more likely to say the full proverb.

--Charlie