reading listserv

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Jul 8 21:52:37 UTC 2006

Middle-schoolers who can't read - the best reading at the third-grade level.

  And thanks to years of dumbing down, the "third-grade level" today probably equals the "first-grade level" of 1956.

  These are the biggest SOTAs of all.

  I learned to read from Uncle Scrooge and Bugs Bunny comics before I started school. Maybe "graphic novels" are your best bet.

  A further SOTA.

  JL

Jan Kammert <write at SCN.ORG> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Jan Kammert
Subject: reading listserv

This group has often helped me with my teaching in the past. I'm hoping
for some ideas from you now.

I am going to teach a middle school reading class in the fall. I have
never taught reading before, and I only vaguely remember the university
class I took on teaching reading over 20 years ago. (I hope lots of new
information on the topic has become available in the last two decades.)

In the last five years, I've read about a dozen books on teaching reading
to adolescents and attended a couple conferences. I'd like a helpful
listserv specifically geared to teaching reading to adolescents.

The fall class is likely to have students who are completely unable to
read. The strongest readers will probably be reading at a second or third
grade level. Some of them will have decoding problems and some will have
comprehension problems. If you have any thoughts, please send them to me
off list. I don't want to take up space here on something that is off
topic.
Thanks!
Jan