"giant steps"/ "may-I"

Barbara Need nee1 at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Sun Jul 9 03:03:11 UTC 2006

>"Mother may I" is also the name that I know it by. How it differs from
>"giant steps" and how they both differ from "red light" I no longer
>remember.

As I recall, Mother, May I the person moving had to ask permission to
move forward. Mother would say "John, move two giant steps forward
and John would have to say Mother, may I? before actually moving
forward, or be forced to go back to the start.

Red light sounds more like "Steps" (described elsewhere)--the caller
stands with his/her back to the start line and the movers move
forward. If a mover is still moving when the caller turns around,
s/he has to go back to the start line.

Barbara