Cheeseburger-1923

Sam Clements SClements at NEO.RR.COM
Sun Jul 9 15:55:46 UTC 2006

Well, kinda.

_The KIngston Jamica Freeman_  24 Feb. 1923

>>The game fast throughout, with first one in the lead and then the other.  "Chese" Burger, former star forward on the varsity, held the whistle, and allowed a fast contest.<<

"Cheese" Burger was the referee.  The fact that a person with a last name of "Burger" could have the nickname "Cheese" would probably indicate that the term was well known by that point.  I can't think of anything other than a hamburger with cheese on it as an explanation.

Sam Clements, who is correcting Wikipedia this afternoon on their hamburger/cheeseburger pages, in preparation for the Akron, Ohio Hamburger Festival next month.