r --> z

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jul 10 20:21:50 UTC 2006

As Ron hints, this change, r > z, and its mirror-image, z > r, are
common, historically. But, here, it seems that someone has, on
purpose, started to use an extended version of this shift and it
caught on among his/her friends, then spread like wildfire across the
country. Normally, of course, no one is consciously aware of any such
change. E.g., I doubt that there are many American BE speakers
consciously aware that the formal pronunciation of "Jesus" used in
preaching and during prayer at services is [jiD at s], in which [D]
represents a /z/ that has become such a strongly-flapped /r/ that it
approaches the sound of /d/. If I wasn't trying to be all phonetic and
shit, I'd transcribe the pronunciation simply as "Jerus" or even
"Jedus."

-Wilson

On 7/10/06, RonButters at aol.com <RonButters at aol.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       RonButters at AOL.COM
> Subject:      Re: r --> z
>
> In a message dated 7/10/06 11:08:13 AM, m.l.murphy at SUSSEX.AC.UK writes:
>

> > Is it common for /r/ to change to [z]?
> >

> Isn't this why we have "was" vs. "were" and "lost" vs. "forlorn"? Well, true,
> in these cases z > r, but at least in principle the two are close enough that
> the alternation is not uinlikely.

Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have
found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be
imposed upon them.

Frederick Douglass