(Texas) Pecan Pie (1886, 1898)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Jul 12 04:22:22 UTC 2006

The revised OED has 1901 for "(Texas) pecan pie." The citations below (from
Readex's new American Historical Newspapers, that contains both Texas Siftings
 and the Dallas Morning News) are pretty good.
As for Readex's American Historical Newspapers, it's slow and often stopped
working.
(OED)
pecan, n.
1901 T. P.  MARSHALL Lone Star Cook Bk. 49 Texas  *Pecan Pie. 1 cup sugar,  1
cup sweet milk, 1-2 cup chopped pecans, 3 eggs, 1 tb. flour. Bake and spread
meringue on top. 1989  C. R. WILSON & W. FERRIS Encycl.  Southern Culture
41/1 Pecans have contributed..to  the culinary aspects of southern life, from
pralines..to..the ubiquitous pecan pie.
_PECAN  PIE_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=2&did=753737732&SrchMode=1&sid=1&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1152676615&clientId=658
82)
Harper's Bazaar (1867-1912). New York: Feb 6,  1886. Vol. 19, Iss. 6; p. 95
(1 page)
(reprinted in)
6 February 1886, Texas Siftings, pg. 3:
PECAN PIE
Is not only delicious, but is capable of being made "a real state pie," as
an enthusiastic admirer said. The pecans must be very carefully hulled, and the
 meat thoroughly freed from any bark or husk. When ready, throw the nuts into
 boiling milk, and let them boil while you are preparing a rich custard. Have
 your pie plates lined with good pastry and when the custard is ready, strain
the  milk from the nuts and add them to the custard. A meringue may be added,
if  liked, but very careful baking is necessary.
23 January 1898, Dallas Morning News, pg. 6:
_Texas Pecan Pie._
Tiaga, Grayson Co., Tex., Jan. 21. -- (To The News.) -- Knowing that The
News is strictly for Texas and for Texas enterprises, and thinking that it might
be of interest to many Texas kitchen queens, I herewith inclose you a copy of
 the recipe for making what I have decided to call in honor of the great Lone
 Star state, "The Texas Pecan Pie."
Having never seen it in any paper or cook book I have read, and failing to
find any one who had ever eaten it, I feel justified in claiming to be its
originator and the right to christen it.
It is a most delicious pie--an instant favorite with all who have eaten it
at my table. It is my desire that it may be added to the long list of
delicacies  Texas cooks are so greatly noted for preparing, and I want every lady to
test  its merits and I will be glad if they let me know of their success or
failure in  making it.
The Texas pecan pie--One cup sugar, one cup sweet milk, one-half cup pecan
kernels chopped fine, three eggs, one tablespoonful flour. When cooked spread
the well-beaten whites of two eggs on the top, brown and sprinkle a few of the
 chopped kernels over it. Above is for one pie.
MRS. MATT BRADLEY.
_Article  7 -- No Title_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=3&did=192405551&SrchMode=1&sid=2&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1152677632&
clientId=65882)
The Ladies' Home Journal  (1889-1907). Philadelphia: Jul 1898. Vol. Vol. XV,,
Iss. No. 8; p. 32 (1  page)
_Texas Pecan Pie._ Mrs. M. B. sends the following receipt: One cup of  sugar,
one cup of sweet milk, half a cup of pecan kernels chopped fine, three  eggs
and a tablespoonful of flour. When cooked, spread the well-beaten whites of
two eggs on top, brown, sprinkle a few of the chopped kernels over. These
quantities will make one pie.