The Dozens

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at UMR.EDU
Wed Jul 12 18:38:40 UTC 2006

This is all interesting, but what *is* the origin of "the dozens"?

Gerald Cohen

________________________________

From: American Dialect Society on behalf of Benjamin Zimmer
Sent: Wed 7/12/2006 11:18 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: The Dozens

Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Sounds like BS to me - and not even plausible BS.

Yeah, because we all know that the proper derivation of "the dozens"
is from Wolof _doxaan_ 'to court a lover', since the verbal jousting
was originally a covert method of expressing affection, much like
pulling on pigtails.

(Give it a few years, and this explanation should be all over the Web.)

--Ben Zimmer