Mumbai/Bombay article

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jul 15 19:55:21 UTC 2006

Portuguese is a language with grammatical gender. "Bom Bahía" is
imposible. It would have to be "Bõa Bahía." So, forget that WAG. And
is there an actual word "baim" in Portuguese?

-Wilson

On 7/13/06, Cohen, Gerald Leonard <gcohen at umr.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Cohen, Gerald Leonard" <gcohen at UMR.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Mumbai/Bombay article
>
> It's a coincidence. Mumbai is from the goddess Mumba-devi, and Bombay is from Portuguese for "Good Bay."  Meanwhile, I see that Mumba may in turn derive from "Maha Amba" (= Great Mother).  A check of Google, for example, turns up:
>                 'An etymology of Mumba that is popular is "Maha Amba," or "Great Mother," one of the many of India's more well-known names for the Hindu Mother Goddess ( Devi).'
>
> The above quote may or may not be correct.  Can any scholars (academic or independent) shed light on this?
>
> Gerald Cohen

Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have
found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be
imposed upon them.

Frederick Douglass