A beast, the lusetan or ounce?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jul 16 00:29:00 UTC 2006

According to "The Book of Knowledge - the children's encylopedia,"
ca.1943, an "ounce" is a snow leopard. I.e., there's a photo of some
kind of leopard-looking big cat on a snowbank and the caption reads:
"An ounce or snow leopard."

-Wilson

On 7/15/06, Joel S. Berson <Berson at att.net> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: A beast, the lusetan or ounce?
>
> At 7/14/2006 04:57 PM, Ben Zimmer wrote:
> >Serves me right for not checking OED's "ounce, n.2". Thanks to
> >Charles, Jim, and Joel for the simultaneous corrections. (Everyone's
> >on top of their game as usual around here!)
>
> Having grown up, read, and lived in the Northeast, I've actually
> heard--or perhaps just read!--"ounce" meaning "bobcat"--er, "lynx".
>
> Joel

Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have
found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be
imposed upon them.

Frederick Douglass