Article on the F-Word

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jul 17 03:21:04 UTC 2006

Does anybody else remember the 1956 Philip K. Dick novel, "The Man Who
Japed"? The book was about a guy who fucked around. Cf.Prof. Fairman's
section on the etymology of "fuck," p.6f.

-Wilson

On 7/15/06, Baker, John <JMB at stradley.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Baker, John" <JMB at STRADLEY.COM>
> Subject:      Article on the F-Word
>
>         Christopher Fairman, an Associate Professor of Law at Ohio State
> University, has written a 74-page paper on the principal obscene word of
> the English language.  Professor Fairman would object strongly to the
> circumlocutions of my preceding sentence and subject line; his belief is
> that taboo
> language should be included in dictionaries, freely spoken and written
> in our schools and colleges, printed in our newspapers and magazines,
> and broadcast on radio and television.  Taking this to its logical
> conclusion, his paper is succinctly entitled "Fuck."  He pointedly
> praises the title of Fred Shapiro's article, The Politically Correct
> United States Supreme Court and the Motherfucking Texas Court of
> Criminal Appeals: Using Legal Databases to Trace the Origins of Words
> and Quotations.  He also praises Jesse Sheidlower's definitive source,
> The F-Word, apparently feeling that its 272 pages of obscenity is more
> than sufficient to overcome its title.  Fairman's paper, which includes
> discussions of the leading legal opinions in this area, is available
> online at
>
> http://www.thecorporatecounsel.net/nonMember/Files/03_06_Fairman.pdf
>

> John Baker

Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have
found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be
imposed upon them.

Frederick Douglass