'Press junction' = press conference?

Gordon, Matthew J. GordonMJ at MISSOURI.EDU
Sat Jul 22 20:49:24 UTC 2006

This seems likely connected to the more common "press junket."

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society on behalf of Damien Hall
Sent: Sat 7/22/2006 11:15 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject:      'Press junction' = press conference?

I had never come across the phrase 'press junction' before, which I think means
something like 'press conference' or 'meeting with the press', but I came
across it this morning in Amy Benfer's interview with Paul Giamatti on the
subject of the new film 'Lady in the Water'.  (Anyone spot a theme to my
breakfast reading?):  'Giamatti is the man', in Philadelphia *Metro*, 21-23
July 2006, p20:

'"I have no way of accounting for that, sir," he says, in response to the
inevitable first question at a press junction.'

Difficult to Google for, as the majority of the hits seemed to be *press* (v.) +
*junction* (n.), but I did see a couple of genuine hits, the earliest I looked
at being from the *Daily Californian* in 2001.  It's not in the editions of
*OED* or *MW* that I have access to, though.  Would it be an extension of
*junction* = 'meeting point'?

Damien Hall
University of Pennsylvania