"change out a window", "paint out a shelf"

Victoria Neufeldt v.neufeldt at SASKTEL.NET
Sat Jul 22 23:12:17 UTC 2006

I've seen 'paint out' used regularly in decorating magazines.  The homeowner
is advised to "paint out the trim", for example.  I have assumed that that
meant paint it the same colour as the walls, so that it doesn't stand out
anymore.  Maybe I've misinterpreted the usage, but I haven't really seen
enough clear contexts to say that that isn't the case.  Probably simply
because when trim or a mantel or whatever is painted it's usually a change
from stained/varnished wood.

Victoria Neufeldt

Victoria Neufeldt
Editor, DSNA Newsletter