Doing the Laundry

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jul 25 19:49:35 UTC 2006

Not to mention that, in those days, a woman who didn't know how to
wash clothes *before* she got married would have found herself in a
world of hurt, unless she had enough money to pay a washerwoman and
her husband was both henpecked enough and wealthy enough to allow her
to waste money like that.

-Wilson

On 7/25/06, Grant Barrett <gbarrett at worldnewyork.org> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Grant Barrett <gbarrett at WORLDNEWYORK.ORG>
> Subject:      Re: Doing the Laundry
>
> I wouldn't be too sure about its provenance. It's been floating
> around the Internet since at least 1984 in several forms. Google
> Groups has it from January of that year:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/net.general/msg/5d3591473153ee4c
>
> Grant Barrett
> gbarrett at worldnewyork.org
> http://www.doubletongued.org/
>
> The Official Dictionary of Unofficial English (May 2006, McGraw-Hill)
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0071458042/
>
> On Jul 25, 2006, at 10:10, Beverly Flanigan wrote:
>
> > I got this from a niece, presumably copied exactly from an old
> > scrapbook of advice to young'uns.  It's full of wonderful regional
> > pronunciation-spellings (boilin, hole=whole, lie=lye, britches,
> > pore=pour, smooth=smoothe, and of course wrench=rinse).  But
> > "pert" (in "if wind is pert") puzzles me.  I'm familiar with "pert
> > near"=pretty near; but "pert" as an adjective = ?  Anything in DARE?
> >
> > P.S.   My  grandmothers used to follow this "recipe" outdoors, and
> > my mother did much the same indoors!

Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have
found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be
imposed upon them.

Frederick Douglass