Man Bag; Re: Golden Sombrero (baseball slang)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Jul 25 20:56:45 UTC 2006

>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>GOLDEN SOMBRERO
>I´d also check ¨grand sombrero¨(like ¨grand
>slam¨). Not everything´s golden...The ¨1984¨
>should be ¨1987¨ in the below cite, I assume.

I don't see any.  The "grand sombrero" hits I
find are either literal (typically from French
passages about, unsurprisingly, a large sombrero)
or metaphorical but not with reference to
strikeouts.  (There's one about a guy selling
four cars, for example.)  "Golden sombrero" +
"strikeout" yields 875 hits, "grand sombrero" +
"strikeout" zero.

LH