Antedating of "Scholasticism"

hpst@earthlink.net hpst at EARTHLINK.NET
Thu Jul 27 19:41:19 UTC 2006

This may be original with me but I use the term "scholasticism" when I
describe academic articles which depend for their publishability  not on
whether their authors have any original ideas but if they merely quote the
literature in order to get their articles into print in academic journals.

I use the term in opposition to "scholarship" which is another thing
entirely.

Page Stephens