Hash(ed) Brown(s) (Potatoes)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Jul 28 16:42:44 UTC 2006

"Hash browns" were served in the Dominican Republic, so I thought I'd
re-check "hash(ed) brown potatoes."
_http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/hash_browns/_
(http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/hash_browns/)
"Hash browns” (or “hashed browns") were originally called, in full,  “
hash(ed) brown potatoes.” They are cited in the New York World in 1888.

(Oxford English Dictionary)
hash browns chiefly U.S., =  hashed brown potatoes s.v. HASHED ppl. a. b;
more fully, hash-brown(ed)  potatoes;
1917 I. C. B. ALLEN Mrs. Allen’s Cook Bk. 400 *Hash Browned  Potatoes. 1948
H. L. MENCKEN Amer. Lang. Suppl. II. 388 Of late there has been a  strong
tendency..to omit the -ed ending… Examples: mash potatoes, hash-brown  potatoes,
[etc.].

November 1888, Current Literature, pg. 402:
Lunching With A Man. New York World
(...)
Scalloped chicken,  with hashed brown potatoes, lobster salad and two
chocolate eclairs, were  destined to pass before his agonized stomach before a halt
was called and the  girl with the delicate appetite had proven her lack.

30 November  1892, Indiana (PA) Progress, pg. 7:
Mrs. Rorer gave her audience a  shock the other day while lecturing at the
Health and Food Exhibition in New  Haven, Conn., by prophesying dire disaster as
a result of indulgence in “hashed  brown potatoes.” She had visited insane
asylums, she said, and found that many  of the inmates had been addicted to the
use of potatoes fried after being  boiled. Ergo, potatoes cooked in this way
appear to produce insanity.

28 January 1894, Los Angeles Times, pg. 24:
He is fond of  cold ham and turkey, and one of his side dishes is usually
hashed brown potatoes  served up with a poached egg upon them.

28 December 1895, Fort Wayne  (IN) Evening Sentinel, pg. 4?:
“I’d trade it for a porterhouse steak  and some hash brown potatoes.”
(Writer Eugene Field—ed.)

20  December 1922, Fitchburg (MA) Sentinel, pg. 4:
A spud raiser may be  down, but he is never out, apparently, and the
epicureans are helping out all  they can by intensive orders for hash browns and a la
Delmonicos.—Malden News.

25 April 1926, Modesto (CA) News-Herald, pg. ?:
Sometimes, dog tired, he dropped off his engine in the yards, cleaned up at
a pump outside the station and are pork sausages, hashed browns, coffee and
sinkers at his mother’s supper counter before they both cut home through the
stubble of sage brush between the station and the one-story shack.