/r/ deletion and insertion

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jul 28 20:52:20 UTC 2006

As a speaker of such a dialect, I'd like to point out that, in my
idiolect, at least, r-Insertion also occurs before stops:

WATER rhymes with BARTER

GOD and GUARD fall together as GUARD

-Wilson

On 7/28/06, Damien Hall <halldj at babel.ling.upenn.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Damien Hall <halldj at BABEL.LING.UPENN.EDU>
> Subject:      /r/ deletion and insertion
>
> Dear Nancy
>
> Maybe you just didn't cite it in your e-mail, but I wonder whether the kind of
> sporadic /r/-insertion and -deletion that you are writing about is at all
> connected to the more systematic (for those who have it in their dialect)
> /r/-insertion in 'wash' > /wOrS/, 'Washington' > /wOrSiNt at n/?
>
> I believe this is common in the US Midland as defined by Labov, Ash and Boberg
> (2006) *Atlas of North American English*, but you'd want to check with someone
> who really knows, or in that volume, to be sure.
>
> (Key to my ASCII IPA:  lower-case characters are what you would expect them to
> be;  /O/ = open o; /S/ = esh; /N/ = engma.)
>
> Damien Hall
> University of Pennsylvania

Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have
found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be
imposed upon them.

Frederick Douglass