But does it stand to reason?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jul 31 00:38:32 UTC 2006

>From slash dot:

[0]joeljkp writes "The New York Times has an article up discussing how
modern humans are 'So Big and Healthy Nowadays That Grandpa Wouldn't Even
Know You.' Despite the hyperbole, the article makes several excellent
points regarding [1]the impact of antibiotics and modern medicine on
humans in their youth. The 'baby boomers' of today have an overall level
of health far higher than their parents did in middle age, and

 _reason stands_

that their children will have even better health to look forward
to." From the article: "The biggest surprise emerging from the new
studies is that many chronic ailments like heart disease, lung disease
and arthritis are occurring an average of 10 to 25 years later than they
used to. There is also less disability among older people today,
according to a federal study that directly measures it. And that is not
just because medical treatments like cataract surgery keep people
functioning. Human bodies are simply not breaking down the way they did
before. Even the human mind seems improved. The average I.Q. has been
increasing for decades, and at least one study found that a person's
chances of having dementia in old age appeared to have fallen in recent
years."

Discuss this story at:
   http://science.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=06/07/29/1727239

Links:
   0. mailto:jjk3 at msstate.edu
   1. http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/30/health/30age.html?hp&ex=1154232000&en=a8f44bc2e9318699&ei=5094&partner=homepage

Big "Oops!" arnold. I looked at only a reference, not at the original.
The article is in today's *Sunday* Times, front page, top left corner.

-Wilson

On 7/30/06, Arnold M. Zwicky <zwicky at csli.stanford.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Arnold M. Zwicky" <zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: But does it stand to reason?
>
> On Jul 29, 2006, at 10:20 PM, Wilson Gray wrote:
>
> > Frrom Saturday's NYT:
> >
> > The 'baby boomers' of today have an overall level of health far higher
> > than their parents did in middle age, and _reason stands_ that their
> > children will have even better health to look forward to.
>
> i can't find this in an on-line search for "reason stands" in the NYT
> in the past week.  can you supply the exact reference?
>
> googling on <"reason stands that"> pulls up some plausible-looking
> examples from other sources, though.
>
> arnold

Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have
found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be
imposed upon them.

Frederick Douglass