"11 a.m. Sunday is most segregated hour" (1952)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Jun 4 18:38:35 UTC 2006

Keyes does a good job on "good loser," but without specific  cites. Here's a
cite I didn't produce before:
_National  Pro League Looks Like Notre Dame Roster; Old 'Rock' Would Smile to
See Bergman  in New Berth; Strickler Writes Of Great of Grid Who Moved to
Pros And the  Stories He Tells Read Just Like Fiction _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=0&did=291332882&SrchMode=1&sid=2&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=3
09&VName=HNP&TS=1149444019&clientId=65882)
The Washington  Post (1877-1954). Washington, D.C.: Aug 15, 1943. p. R2 (1
page)
"Show me a good loser," he used to say, "and I will show you a  failure."
Keyes has "Eleven o'clock Sunday morning is the most segregated hour in
America" from the Newspaperarchive cite of April 28, 1953. It's before MLK, Jr.
said it.
_WORSHIP  HOUR FOUND TIME OF SEGREGATION_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=0&did=83802301&SrchMode=1&sid=3&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HN
P&TS=1149445681&clientId=65882)
New York Times  (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Nov 4, 1952. p. 26 (1
page)
Eleven o'clock Sunday morning--when most Protestant churches are holding
worship services--was designated yesterday as the "most segregated time" in
America by Dr. Helen Kenyon, former moderator of the Congregational-Christian
Churches.
Addressing the annual Christian Frontiers forum of the Women's Society of
Riverside Church, Dr. Kenyon said that interracial churches were like "oases in
a great desert." She declared that American Protestantism tended to maintain
the  "status quo" and to shy away from "new neighbors and new ways of living."
Dr. Kenyon is chairman of the policy committee of the Department of United
Church Women of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U. S.  A.
_Anti-Communism  Fight More Serious Than Many Realize, Says Mrs. Bethune(2)_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=0&did=742729862&SrchMode=1&sid=1&Fmt=10&V
Inst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1149445624&clientId=65882)
MARY McLEOD Bethune. The Chicago Defender  (National edition) (1921-1967).
Chicago, Ill.: Sep 26, 1953. p. 11 (1  page)
Someone has said that eleven o'clock Sunday morning is the most segregated
hour in the week. It is our church hour!!