"Plough with the favorite heifer", 1749

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Jun 6 16:42:38 UTC 2006

"We are informed that a certain Foreign . . . who
makes a very splendid Figure amongst us, has
already lern'd to pursue the old English Maxim of
ploughing with the favorite Heifer, which he
thoroughly understands in the metaphorical Sense;
and that a certain Naturaliz'd C-n-ss, in
Conformity to this Maxim, was lately entertain'd
by him with great Splendour and Expense."

Northampton [England] Mercury, 23 October 1749
(G. A. Cranfield, "The Development of the
Provincial Newspaper, 1700-1760", page 70).

What do you have, Fred?  With my limited
sources:  not found Googling; from OED2, this
sense of plough goes back to 1606,
Shakespeare:  Ant. & Cl. ii. ii. 233 Royall
Wench: She made great Cæsar lay his sword to bed,
He ploughed her, and she cropt.

Joel