"Plough with the favorite heifer", 1749

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Wed Jun 7 13:37:36 UTC 2006

If the English language was good enough for Samson . . . .

In Wycliff's translation, the Philistines plowed with
Samson's "she calf."  For Coverdale, it was just "my calf"
(was he sanitizing?).  "Heifer" seem to have become standard
with the so-called Bishops' Bible of 1568, followed by
Geneva (1587), Rheims Douai (1609), and KJV (1611).

In the Vulgate, it's "arassetis in vitula mea"; that "in" is
kind of interesting--since (unlike "cum") it can mean "in"
as well as "with."  But little is definitively known
regarding St. Jerome's feelings about heifers.

I don't know what the Hebrew says or implies--or when or
whether the whole phrase became an idiom or stock metaphor!

--Charlie