suggestive names

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Jun 11 22:54:16 UTC 2006

How many of these can there be ?  I was told in 1973 or ' 74 that the pygmies are cunning runts and the nun has a soul full of hope.  Do the two riddles usually travel in tandem ?

  JL

Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Charles Doyle
Subject: Re: suggestive names

Many of these phrases occur in the minor genre of riddling
questions that folklorists term "spooneristic conundrums";
usually they follow the formula "What's the difference
between x and y?" (or "How is x like y"?). Often, in order
to accomplish "disingenuous taboo avoidance," only the first
half of the two-part answer is uttered, leaving the second
half to be inferred or guessed:

What's the difference between a band of pygmies and a
women's track team?

What's the difference between a nun and a girl in the
bathtub?

--Charlie